Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 10: Telling your kids there is a Santa Claus vs. Telling them he doesn't exist

In case you didn't notice from my last post's title, I'm in the Christmas mood. In fact, we were actually decorating the house for Christmas when I typed out the post that I titled with a line from the Grinch song.

So since it's all I can think about right now, I'm finishing off my blog posting with a Christmas topic.

But first let's clear up something----------------SPOILER ALERT FOR CHILDREN!-----------------

There is no Santa Clause.

*Gasp!*

I know, I know. That was a hard blow to deal this close to Christmas. But it had to be done to introduce this week's topic. Or did it? Hmm...maybe that's why some people so adamantly push for the existence of Old St. Nick--because they still believe in him!

Sorry! I'm getting ahead of myself. I haven't even told you what this week's topic is yet. Although, if you're astute, you might have guessed it from the title.

(You just double-checked the title, didn't you? Gotcha! Proves no one reads those things.)

Anyway, for this final week (for my class at least; I'll probably continue blogging, albeit less frequently in the future) the topic is telling your kids there is a Santa Claus versus letting them know he doesn't exist from the start.

I fall on the latter side of that because my parents always told us Santa didn't exist (just a man in a suit) and I've seen 12-year-old kids (not even joking) who still believed in Old St. Nick. Also, I'm afraid that if I lie to my kids about that, they'll have trouble believing me about anything in the future. Perhaps there's only a minute chance of that happening, but I don't even want to take that chance.

This week though, I'll give my best "HO, HO, HO" and argue for the benefits of telling my kids Santa is coming down the chimney to bring them presents.


No comments:

Post a Comment